Saturday, March 26, 2011

House No. 85: Nut House




House No. 85: Nut House
walnut shell, polymer clay, glue, paper, ink, acrylic paint
1.5 in. x 2 in. x 1.5 in.
085/365; 03/26/11

Welcome to the nut house. 

The werepanda was my photographer for this house. He said the bee in the last photo was necessary to show scale.

I think that the fact that the house is a walnut is pretty indicative, but the werepanda argues that the walnut could be freakishly huge. Well, the bee could be africanized and also freakishly huge, but it's not. It's a deceased honey bee from our hive, and it's a pretty standard three-stripe Italian hybrid.

7 comments:

  1. LOVE!!!! I want one of my own!

    lol at "I think that the fact that the house is a walnut is pretty indicative". Yeah, this is one situation where the scale is pretty evident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that 3rd picture makes it look like a giant walnut. Actually African bees are smaller than a European bee, if you want a freakishly huge bee you will need to go to Canada here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, this is really neat, Mady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I confess, the only thing I know about killer bees is what I learned from Wu-Tang Clan, and the bee on the cover of The Swarm album looks huge. Maybe if there had been a walnut beside it to indicate scale ...

    http://images.coveralia.com/audio/w/Wu_Tang_Killa_Bees-The_Swarm-Frontal.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally nuts about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bee. I also love that you have a hive. I also also love that it *opens up*! And has a chimney! Wow.

    ReplyDelete