Friday, April 29, 2011

House No. 119: Traditional Japanese Gassho-Zukuri House

 
House No. 119: Traditional Japanese Gassho-Zukuri House
encaustic on paper
18 in. x 12 in.
119/365; 04/29/11

Day two of encaustics. I started with the cookie sheet, but I moved up to a foil-covered pizza stone because it holds the heat longer and it is so hot that I can get the wax to really pool. Check it out in these close-up detail shots:


The trees were my favorite part to create, and I love the waxy surface they created. I worked into those parts of the image for a long time, wiping and reapplying and scraping.


I think those two details work as little abstract compositions in their own right, don't you? Here are some more details so you can see the wax application:


I also used carry-out chopsticks to scrape and spread the wax, which seems sort of appropritate, considering the Asian architecture.


I really like the earthy tones in this one. And I love the way the traditional architecture works with its environment, so I tried to capture that in the image. 

2 comments:

  1. These thatched roofs are strong features of my childhood memories of growing up in Japan. I remember someone telling me that snakes loved living in the straw roofs... I adore Japanese architecture with a passion but that image always gives me chills.

    (FYI: I would love to see you create a miniature Chashitsu!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Beth. Now I am petrified of thatched roofing!

    It is similar my aversion to palmettos because my grandfather told me when I was a child that snakes liked to hang out in them. Since I lived up North, this was only an issue when I visited my grandparents in Florida once a year. Now that I live in the South, and I actually see the occasional palmetto, I give palmettos a wide berth.

    Miniature Chashitsu is now officially on the list!

    ReplyDelete