Saturday, April 9, 2011

House No. 99: Tea House

House No. 99: Tea House
ceramic teapot, ink on paper, cellophane tape
8.5 in. x 6 in. x 5 in.
099/365; 04/09/11

This is my second tea house and a sister to yesterday's coffee house, another readymade using the same windows and door.

I love this little teapot, a gift from my sister-in-law. It reminded her of the invitations to the wedding for werepanda and me, which were designed after medieval manuscript pages. The pattern includes some of my favorite motifs: alpine strawberries, pomegranates, tudor roses, and oak leaves with acorns.

I have always loved acorns, but my attachment to them grew when I was living in France. The werepanda's surname comes from the French word for oak grove, and when he, speaking little French, would telephone my building, the receptionist, who spoke no English, would leave me a note that “Mr. Oaktree” had called.

1 comment: