Wednesday, April 6, 2011

House No. 96: Sleeping Beauty's Castle

House No. 96: Sleeping Beauty's Castle
wood, wooden spindles, wooden spools, chipboard, acrylic paint
10 in. x 21 in. x 8 in.
096/365; 04/06/11

The fairy tale houses continue today with another tale constructed out of objects from domestic work.


Luckily for me, my mom has everything and is willing to part with it for art's sake.

Say, for example, I wanted to make a palace for Sleeping Beauty out of spinning spindles (of course), not only would my mother dig up a whole basket full, she would ask me if there is anything else that I would like to take on my way out. As if her house were a shop.

Then she would convince my dad that he can part with one of the blocks from his childhood set (that also occupied my sister and me — it is a beautiful set of wooden blocks) because a dog had already chewed on it anyway. And that is where I got the supplies for this castle.

And it is one of my favorite houses so far.



See the golden tower? That is where Sleeping beauty lies asleep.

I love these spindles. Working with them is like playing a xylophone. The soundtrack of my working with them, all colliding together, sounded like the Fossils from Camille Saint-Saëns's Carnival of the Animals.  It's such a happy sound.

3 comments: