Friday, April 1, 2011

House No. 91: Kejserens nye Palads (The Emperor's New Palace)



House No. 91: The Castle from Kejserens nye Palads  (The Emperor's New Palace)
mixed media
roughly 18 in. x 12 in.
091/365; 04/01/11

Continuing with my fairytale-themed houses, today’s house is based on the Danish folktale, Kejserens nye Palads by Hans Christian Anderson.  As you can see, this house is one of my most work-intensive and elaborate to date.


I am most proud of the detail work on the leaded windows and the masonry work of the castle, as you can see in this detail, below.


Again, as in Rapunzel’s Tower, I tried to use materials that reflect the story from a contemporary perspective. In this case, I want to reflect the current American political lexicon, populace perspective, and media in Emperor Kejserens’s castle. I think the medium speaks for itself, here.

Update: Happy April Fools Day!  The Danish Kejserens nye Palads, as was disclosed in the Google Translation link, translates as The Emperor's New Palace. Thanks for playing along!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you really had me scratching my head on this one, until I started mousing over the links and seeing where they led. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's so beautiful! Incredible detailing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The leaded windows are my favorite.

    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! So glad I took the time to examine this one carefully...

    I haven't been able to do much blog surfing lately, but I am so glad that I spent a few extra minutes here to really "get" your message!

    ReplyDelete