Saturday, February 26, 2011

House No. 57: Sámi House

 
House No. 57: Sámi House
ink, colored pencil, and watercolor on paper, digital layout
8.5 in. x 11 in.
057/365; 02/26/11

Let me get one thing out of the way at the start: there are a lot of different houses built and used by the Sámi people, who are a culturally connected people spread across many different political lines in far northern Europe.  The Sámi live in the northernmost parts of the countries of Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia.

In fact, you may notice some similarities between house number fifty-seven, here, and house number forty-three, Russian Izba, particularly in the izba from the story of Baba Yaga, a Chicken-Legged Izba. (Isn't that a lovely depiction of Baba Yaga's house by fantasy illustrator Reuben C. Dodd?)

I illustrated a Sámi house traditionally found in Sweden for this house because I love the house's supports, but there are many, many fascinating Sámi dwellings that could take up their own sub-project, and believe me, I'm thinking about it.

I am really fascinated by the Sámi, and I want to learn loads more about them. I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment