Friday, March 4, 2011

House No. 63: La Maison Cubiste

House No. 63: La Maison Cubiste
ink on cardstock
5 in. x 3 in.
063/365; 03/04/11

Today I was inspired by several hours of enchantment at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in the Picasso special exhibition on loan from the Musée National Picasso in Paris, France as it undergoes renovation. If you can, go to this show. The work is a rarity to see, and I love the way the entire show progresses and does not stick solely to linear time line. It is a really well designed exhibition: the hanging, the lighting, the pacing.

My friend Ang, of Simulacrum fame, and the Werepanda and I had breakfast at the Richmond institution that is Perly's and then, fortified for some serious art appreciation, made our way to the museum. Afterward, Angie and I felt like we needed a nap. And so, I pose a general question that Ang and I were wondering about: Do museums make everyone tired?

After what feels like cerebral ecstasy from looking at inspiring art, I always feel spent. It's like mental calisthenics and overwhelming joy delivered in extended lightening bolt form.

The first half of the exhibition in particular was a mental workout. The earlier works of Picasso up through his relationship with Dora Maar have always been my favorite. Picasso's late work has never appealed to me as much, though it is a pleasure to see, and I always approach it differently at different points in my life.

For the first half of the show, I felt as if I could never possibly look enough. Picasso's earlier work always does this to me, no matter how many times I look at any particular work. There's just so much going on and so many properties to consider.

And so, here we have it, my little ink sketch influenced by Picasso and Cézanne.

Also of interesting note, I additionally have a bit of a connection, being named Madonna, to La Maison Cubiste in Prague, Czech Republic.

3 comments:

  1. Yes! Trips to museums exhaust me! A good museum is mentally challenging. I usually find an hour or so is enough to fill me up, even though I want to keep looking. The VMFA's new cafe is a great way to end a visit for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those are just your little inspired sketches?! Whatevs. Talent oozes, lady.

    Regarding your question: It's been awhile since I've been able to go to a museum without the kids, but I can tell you that a trip with them is indeed exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went home and napped. :)

    ReplyDelete